Chunky Monkey

Chunky Monkey

Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4, 2010: Day 1

Day one. 21 days. No cheats. Work out hard. Eat clean.

I almost threw up last night when my trainer emailed me my BMI and weight. The cold harsh reality of the truth. Ouch. Bleh. It hurts. To think that my slender, sleek body that once existed in this world with 129lbs of toned muscle had slipped into a state of 165 lbs of rippling fat. Life as I know it, is over. I have struggled for a while to slim down and be healthy. This summer was the icing on the cake (great choice of words) for me when I finally came to terms with the fact that I am officially a chunky monkey. It is time for my life to change. My goal is to lose 25lbs and get healthy and once again grace the beach in a bikini with my head held high. Actually, just to put on a bathing suit and not feel like the evidence of my poor lifestyle was obvious to everyone would be good enough for me.

I have hired a personal trainer and today is day 1 of the rest of my life. When I got out of bed this morning I said to my dear husband, "Well, today is the first day of the rest of my life". With that said, I began drinking. No not that but 4 litres of water each and every day. 4 Litres! That's right folks. Just imagine what that does to your bladder and your bowels. To say the least, I spent the majority of today eating, drinking, going to meetings and peeing. I spent more time in the bathroom today then I did at my desk. And here I sit, blogging and sharing with you while I sip a diet pepsi (Yes, I am allowed diet pepsi). However, I still have to consume 500mls of water before the night is done. Dear God help me...I will be peeing all night.

The gym. Chest and biceps are the body parts of choice today. I walked into the gym confidently. Ready to take on the fat that has invaded my body. The first exercise was bench press. So, I lay on the bench and begin 20 reps with just the bar. Yes, that's right, all I can handle is the bar. And much to my surprise, the bar seemed heavier today than it ever has. By the 14th rep, I thought I was going to die. And I knew at that point that I needed the help of a spotter. And I am so not going to ask for help with the bar!! How embarrassing. And I am especially am not going to ask for help from the 60 year old woman who can lift more than me. (How did I get so out of shape). I don't know what is worse, asking for a spot for the bar or dropping the bar on my chest because I can't lift it up. Hmmmm. Just for the record, I did complete my assigned exercises. And I left the gym embarrassed because I dropped the bar on my chest! LOL.

Now, I know that some of you may say that 165 lbs may not be that bad. But my genetics are not on my side for weight and since my last pregnancy which didn't end so well, I have not been able to lose the extra weight. It is something that affects how I feel on a day to day basis. I know I can do better and this is the story of my journey. The first 21 days of my eating plan do not allow me to indulge in any way. This should be simple. Is Thanksgiving this weekend?

See you tomorrow!

Andrea :)

8 comments:

  1. Aww! Andrea, I know what it's like to gain, lose and then gain weight again!! so frustrating!

    I think your blog is an awesome idea, and maybe I will starting trying hard to lose weight as well (HMMM..well, maybe on Wednesday, the day after our food day at work)

    Love, Geniene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi cuz! It is a constant battle. I am really making some effort at a lifestyle change. Thank you for reading! It means a lot to me. I am wondering why I started this before Thanksgiving. But after Thanksgiving is Christmas, then New Years, then Valentines...then then then.....

    I miss you cuz!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea oh brave fat slaying warrior! I think the blog is a great idea. I will follow your journey as I continue down mine and maybe we will both be bathing suit ready by Christmas! YOU CAN DO IT! Great writing - keep it up. TTYS
    Amos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andrea! So glad we are new bff's on the Net...ha! good for you; I am in the exact same state and am just starting my journey as well. I will keep you posted to me and will comment on you...Jo has my blog site, you should check it out. Good luck to all of us girl, it's such a b#@*ch some days! lol!! vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here here Andrea! Good on ya - I've just started a 30 day Yoga Challenge - and while I had hoped to keep up with my weights and cardio during it - I'm thinking it's not going to happen! (Yoga for an hour plus twice a day takes up quite a bit of time!).Still eating clean though!

    I think next I'm going to have to work on my portion sizes. Too much good food - is still too much food!

    I'll see you on the beach!

    Yours, in peeing solidarity!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so you know, I think you, Andrea, are one of, if not the, most beautiful, inside and out, women that I have ever met. Good luck, its never easy but I know you have the drive to get what you want. Luv ya!!!!!!
    Murray

    ReplyDelete
  7. So... is that a no for coming out to our place this weekend for Turkey? We'll save you the white parts? That's supposed to be good right?

    RyeShy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Andrea Go! I'm staring now too :p
    I don't enjoy this strict part of it all. But I love the end result!! So perseverance is my middle name. My will power sucks and yes I had a cookie today. But I will try my best to deny myself. And Jo is keeping tabs on me.
    And since I am not aloud a gym membership I will live vicariously through you and your workouts...and i will think of you as I am watching the workout video I got in 1996...with there headbands and bodysuits..Good for a laugh..and that burns fat too!
    I look forward to following your journey as I take on mine.
    And peeing lots is a good sign..i always look at it as losing that first 3 lbs of water weight and a jump start!!
    Have fun with it!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete