Chunky Monkey

Chunky Monkey

Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 56: Me Time

Today I had to overcome my coma-like inertia and get my body into gear at the gym. I have had to consciously work at getting my mind in the right place when it comes to getting there. I can think of it as a great sacrifice in which I buffet my body into submission or I can think of it as my 'alone' time. My time to be with myself. Me time. What the heck does that even mean?? Me time...lol...that is completely foreign to me. The only time I get 'me time' is when I am away for work. And then when I do have a day to relax, it is only then that I realize how tired I am and I spend quite a bit of that time....sleeping or just sitting and staring. I know it's really bad when someone comes up to me and wipes the drool off my lip as I stare off into space in a trance-like state. It has happened a time or two...yikes!

And just to let you in on a little secret...when I go away...I always schedule a couple extra days so that I can do nothing. Doing nothing is absolutely glorious. I am relishing in the thought of doing nothing right now. It is almost as good as escaping to the beach with Raul, my margarita and my People Magazine. So, now to get my head in the right place, I tell myself that I am going to the gym so that my brain can slip into neutral and just not think. And if I work hard, I reward myself with the electric beach. It's not as relaxing as the sandy beach but it does the trick. Well...at least for now.

And since my whole workout is strictly designed to slay the fat monster foreva, there is an entire array of factors that contribute to being a successful fat monster head hunter . Relaxation, sleep and eating habits are highly valuable and are important parts of my defensive position in my battle of the bulge. Some days it feels like every aspect of my life has been strictly regimented and there is very little room for creative spontaneity. This prevents binge eating, gym skipping and the ever so popular excuse formulating. It unarms the chunky monkey and gives me the competitive advantage. It has clearly mapped out how at night I will storm the camp of the fat monster, drive my ceremonial chunky monkey dagger into it's chest and declare war on it and it's followers. However, the fat monster has been retaliating lately and even the kitty Temptations on the tv commercials at the gym seem make my tummy grumble.

The good news in all of this is that I have finally broken the barrier. I reached milestone #1 and have broken through to the 150's. It feels good. I also have noticed that my thighs no longer touch each other. Yes that's right. I could pass a thin piece of cardboard between my thighs and not touch any skin. This is truly worth celebrating. If you have never had thighs of thunder then you will not understand how glorious and wonderful it is to have thighs that don't touch. It's like an early Christmas present!! Perhaps a donut is in order to celebrate this great milestone. No...not a deep fried donut...but a donut in the parking lot of the mall with my car would suffice. And since the brevity of human life is evident, I think it's good to live a little and pull a donut or two even if I am a "mature" adult. I actually did it the other day...and it felt good...no...it felt great....and I laughed to myself as I spun my car out of control. Of course, my near death encounter with the light post has made it very easy for my voice of reason to speak up now when I feel the urge to stunt. Where the heck is the voice of reason when I am tempted to each chocolate??

We really do pay the price to be beautiful. We don't indulge in chocolate. In fact, on my eating plan, chocolate would be considered high treason and I would be destined to the bottomless pit of fat if I broke the rules. Come to think of it, women really do go through a lot to be hawt. We pluck our eye brows, we dye our hair, we wax our legs (not to mention other body parts...), we work out at the gym, we get our nails done, we get manicures, pedicures, facials....all this to....no...all for the sake of........why do we do this to ourselves again?? Oh yeah...self-esteem...one more foreign thing to me. I am hoping to change that foreigner into a permanent resident. Well, Rome wasn't built in a day. One day at a time...right? Back to the gym tomorrow for my 'me time'. I am so excited. (sarcasm intended)

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment